ITSV - Vocal Technique Unpacked - 3 Day Course
Time & Location
About The Event
RONNI in association with Vocal Process - Presenting
INSIDE THE SINGING VOICE: Vocal Technique Unpacked
With Dr Gillyanne Kayes & Jeremy Fisher
The real "how-to" of singing
This three-day intensive course is packed with information, techniques and hot tips for singing in different genres.
- "At last someone has understood the sounds I am making and can help me move forward from here" Christine, choral leader, UK
- "Before I was basing my singing on feelings and sensations. Now I KNOW what I'm doing, how to improve it" Maria T, actor singer, Spain
- "True breakthrough moments. When the singing techniques were put into practice, the vocal quality shifted before our eyes and ears" Lisa Wilson, Past President VASTA, USA
Here are some of the singing topics and vocal techniques you will learn on the course:
1. Discover the secrets of breathing in singing: how and when you breathe in, and what to do with it once you've got it
Abs, ribs, controlling the outbreath and 'support'
How your vocal folds work: making contact, resisting breath, creating sound
Deconstriction (allowing breath in and not 'throat controlling')
2. Discover how to make and control volume in singing
Breath and vocal folds: flow and levels of resistance, subglottal pressure
The cut and thrust of singing: Twang or your personal sound booster
Get your back into it: Finding the voice body connection for support
3. Range - finding it and controlling it
Pitching - how is pitch made and what your vocal folds need to do
Finding your full range, your working range and your comfort zone
Gear changes: Hide, disguise or feature?
4. Resonance - how to find it, how to change it for different sound qualities
Nasal or not? Identifying nasality and dealing with it
'Correct' vowels and why they might change with different music styles
Knowing where your tongue goes and how it can shape the sound
5. Putting it together!
Why context is EVERYTHING
What's YOUR style? The vocal demands of your particular music.
Singing words - some problems and solutions
All of the above include targeted exercises to discover how your voice works and what it is capable of.
Every exercise you learn on this course is targeted to help you discover how your voice works and what it is capable of.
When you know the specific instructions you can give yourself that make you voice more efficient, more manageable, more reliable, that's when the magic happens.
Inside The Singing Voice Vocal Techniques Unpacks - the magic your voice can make!
• "I can honestly say that I have never had a learning experience that was so useful yet so enjoyable at the same time. Your 'can do' approach and focussed encouragement made the atmosphere so unthreatening, and as a result everyone was relaxed and willing to try things out with some astonishing results - it was just voice heaven!"
A bit about Vocal Process
Vocal Process is owned and run by internationally renowned vocal and performance trainers Dr Gillyanne Kayes and Jeremy Fisher. In case you don't know, we work in many different music genres. We're not biased towards one musical or vocal style. We give you the tools to choose how YOU want to sound. If it's healthy, it's good. We have high-level experience in the field, working with professional performers AND their teachers. We train the trainers, and that speaks for itself!
We've written books on singing and performance, started the ground breaking professional development Webinar series, created numerous Voice Training DVDs, been guest speakers at voice conferences and seminars around the world, and been invited to contribute two entire chapters for the new Oxford Handbook of Singing, on vocal physiology and teaching singing in different genres.
A bit about RONNI
RONNI is an organisation that provides services for singers and musicians. The business is run by Creative Director, Singer Songwriter and Voice Teacher Ronni Bailey and includes private singing tuition, group singing classes, studio recording services for singers and musicians. We also provide specialist voice training workshops and courses, children's music and developmental workshops, song writing and arranging development through to production and more.
Ronni Bailey, BA Hons in Popular Music and Principal at RONNI is an accredited Vocal Process teacher of singing, teaching privately and in groups and working with an expert team, including voice teachers, specialist professional speakers, studio recording producers, studio assistants and party hosts to help deliver the many services that RONNI provides.
A bit about the area where the course is held.
Alexandra House Hotel is a modern venue on the edge of the Cotswolds with views of the Ridgeway. It is based in a lovely village called Wroughton, which is part of the Borough of Swindon in Wiltshire and lies along the A4361 road between Swindon and Avebury; the road into Swindon crosses the M4 motorway between junctions 15 and 16. The village is about 2.2 miles (3.5 km) south of Swindon town centre on the edge of the Marlborough Downs, an area of outstanding natural beauty. If you have time to arrive early or to stay an extra day when booking your course, why not consider also visiting Avebury, one of the best known prehistoric sites in Britain, it contains the largest megalithic stone circle in the world. Or visit Swindon's very own Designer Outlet Village where you will find exclusive savings up to 60% across designer brands.
- If travelling by car the venue is very close to the M4 motorway and easily accessible from both eastbound Junc 16 and westbound Junc15 (nearer to junction 15) and also if you are coming from the north from M6/M5 onto A417/A419. There are plenty of parking spaces at the hotel.
- If travelling by train, Swindon Train Station is approximately 3.7 miles away from the venue with trains on direct lines (including electric fast trains) from London, Reading & Bristol as an example.
There are several options at varying prices ranging from budget to luxurious in and around Wroughton and Swindon, including Alexandra House itself where the event is held. I have included some options for your consideration but you may want find your own options and also check out booking.com to find the best rates.
- https://www.swindonalexandrahouse.co.uk/ ITSV Event Venue! Situated in the charming Wiltshire countryside, conveniently located and easily accessible just 10 minutes from the M4. Beautiful Hotel.
- https://www.whitehartwroughton.co.uk/ Lovely accommodation situated in a separate building and a part of a beautiful and traditional Wroughton thatched pub Only a couple of minutes from the event venue, down the road in the village.
- https://foxandhoundswroughton.co.uk/The Fox & Hounds also in the village of Wroughton this pub offers seven fully-modern bedrooms with en-suite facilities. Light, airy & comfortable open-plan bar offering you everything you'd expect from a modern place to relax, eat & drink and stay over.
If you are driving you may find it cheaper or easier to stay at one of the budget hotel in Swindon itself.
Here are some examples for your consideration:
- https://www.expressswindon.co.uk/ Value accommodation for those looking for a convenient stopover in Swindon. Our hotel can be found just off Junction 16 of the M4 motorway. We offer guests free parking, free Wi-Fi throughout the hotel and a tasty inclusive breakfast.
- Holiday Inn Swindon Spacious standard or family rooms have a desk and free WiFi to stay connected, plus blackout curtains and a pillow menu for a sound night's sleep. Order 24/7 room service and sit back in front of the satellite TV, or cuddle up in a bathrobe with a free drink from the minibar in an executive room.
- https://www.campanile.com Just 5 minutes from junction 16 of the M4 motorway, the Campanile Swindon Hotel offers free on-site parking and en suite rooms with bright, modern décor and satellite TV. Wi-Fi is available at a surcharge.
- • Is there a minimum age requirement to enter the event?
- We suggest 18 years and over as this is an intense course. Anyone Age 16+, focused/mature and keen to be on the course please contact us before making a booking to discuss suitability.
- • What are my transport/parking options for getting to and from the event? If travelling by car the venue is very close to the M4 motorway and easily accessible from both eastbound Junc 16 and westbound Junc15. Also access is easy when coming from the North via M6/M5 onto A417/A419. There are plenty of parking spaces at the hotel. If travelling by train, Swindon Train Station is approximately 3.7 miles away from the venue with direct lines and fast trains from London, Reading & Bristol.
- • Who do I contact if I have any questions?
- Contact Ronni Bailey direct firstname.lastname@example.org who will be happy to help you with your queries.
- Can I pay in instalments?
If you wish to pay for the ITSV course in instalments, please contact RONNI to discuss options of an instalment plan. email@example.com
- • What's the refund policy?
- Details of our refund policy can found here Refund Policy
- • How long is the Course?
The course is spread over 3 days starting late morning/lunchtime Friday with a teaching time of approximately 20 hours over the 3 days and finishing late afternoon on the Sunday. Times and schedules will follow.